Thursday, November 29, 2007

Life Plan

Do you have a life plan? Does your life have vision, meaning, and purpose?

My husband and I are reading through a book by Dan Miller called 48 days to the Work You Love. In it Dan talks about having a life plan with balance, not only a job. It seems that in our culture we have a large emphasis placed on your job and what you do, rather than who you are.

In one section of the book Dan talks about having success in all areas of your life. He pictures your life as a wheel with the outside being fulfillment of your purpose, mission, and calling (yes we all have this). Fulfillment happens when you have success in all areas of your life. The areas are: spiritual, career, physical, personal development, social, family, and financial.

I used to really struggle with feeling incomplete because I didn't have a "job" so to speak. I am a mother and stay home with my kids, something our society doesn't always value. If we look at life more holistically we begin to understand more of God's desire for us to glorify Him. By excelling in all areas of life in ways that we are uniquely gifted, we glorify God.

How are you doing in all seven areas? Do you spend too much time working so your family suffers? Do you care more about your physical body than your spiritual life? How are you growing personally? Are you learning something new?

One area my husband and I are trying to reach success is financial. We've started to listen to Dave Ramsey and are being encouraged more and more to become debt free. In order to fulfill our unique calling as a family we believe we need to be debt free. More on the topic of debt free living and my experience of that journey in a future post.

I'll close with a quote by Viktor Frankl-
"Life is never made unbearable by circumstances, but only by lack of meaning and purpose."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We've been following Dave Ramsey teachings for almost 2 years and it's been LIFE CHANGING. My 51 year old parents caught the fire and paid off everything except the house and are going to pay the house off in less than 5 years! We can't wait to be debt free as well!

eva said...

I always love to hear inspiring stories from others! I can't wait to be debt free. It's been a long time since I could say that. Before college actually!
Thanks Ashley.