Monday, June 2, 2008

Conveniences

The family went to my grandparents last weekend for a "farm visit". They raise pigs, chickens, sheep, and crops. My kids love it and are really smelly by the time we go back home. While we were there we had many talks with my grandparents. In one conversation, my Grandma made a comment about conveniences. She said, "we sure are attached to our conveniences." I was surprised that it came from her. I've always admired my grandmother as someone who was very content with very little. She doesn't have a dishwasher or a computer. She can afford new clothes but still wears the same ones she's worn for as long as I can remember. My cousin and I were discussing awhile back how nice it is to come to their house because nothing changes in a world full of constant change. I can sit in the same rocking chair that Grandma rocked me in when I was born 30 years ago. So it caught me a bit off guard coming from her, but got me thinking about conveniences. What are the conveniences that you just "can't live without"? The first thought that came to my mind was my cell phone. Not necessary, but very convenient. I've been on a quest the last year to simplify life. Conveniences are nice...in fact some are blessings...but are any burdens? Do they clutter your life? They sometimes make it possible for us to move faster and get more done, but then do we miss out on enjoying life and can those "conveniences" actually take away from our quality of life? Food for thought.

No comments: