Thursday, March 13, 2008

Creatively Homemaking

Believe it or not, as a "homemaker", I am often asked what I actually do all day. I'm not really offended by the question. Actually, it is something that I think about often. I think about what I do all day and if it is worthwhile, if it is useful, if it is purposeful. Yes, at times my life can be a bit mundane. Homemaking involves many tasks that, for a social person, can be difficult and it's easy to become lonely.

The decision to stay home is a struggle for me. There have only been a few months since having my children that I have been completely jobless. I've almost always had some sort of side job...doing laundry for a camp, watching other peoples children, teaching preschool, serving at a restaurant, etc. It would be very easy for me to run out and get a part-time job. The income would help our "debt free" goal arrive sooner, the outlet would benefit my social needs, however, I'm trying to embrace this time as growth in contentment. I'm fully convinced that my children will benefit from having their mother around at all times. They find some sort of stability from knowing I'm here. My son keeps asking after a month of me being home..."mommy going to work?" and I always answer with "no, I get to stay home with you and I don't go to work" and the biggest grin comes across his face. I don't feel any guilt. It is hard sometimes. I see people going to their jobs, especially the people that enjoy their jobs and I feel some tinges of jealousy. But, instead of just sitting with that and being in a discontent struggle, I've decided to embrace this season. I'm trying to bring who I am and my creative spirit into my home. I'm researching, reading, and learning ways our home can be God-honoring. I'm not thinking about what we don't have because I stay home or what I'll get to do after this, but I'm thinking about what I can do now. It is freeing to be able to embrace my calling as a wife and mother and be thankful for it.

So to answer the question of what I do all day, I'd have to say that it is pretty complicated. But to sum it up with a theme or motto: I'm accepting where God has me and I'm creatively giving my very best for Him.

I'm trying to mold and teach my children many things. Especially that God loves them and created them especially for Him. I'm trying to love my husband. Yes, he gets a home-cooked meal almost every night. Thankfully, he's never complained about those meals! I'm trying to grow in knowledge and truth, to saturate my mind with God's word and to grow in character and as a person. One thing I'm doing right now is embracing my creative side. I've found that baking is enjoyable to me, and something that benefits others. Today I'm baking Pumpkin Bread. It is a yummy recipe that I think tastes a lot like Starbucks'. I'll post the recipe sometime for all you bakers out there.

I'm planning on posting more in the future about homemaking and mothering since that is the season I'm in right now. I love sharing ideas and learning from others and this blog is a wonderful place for that.

3 comments:

Kristin said...

As soon as you find the recipe for Starbucks discontinued Low-fat Lemon Raspberry Coffee Cake I'll be at your house every day! Seriously though, I'm having the same thoughts. I feel guilty sometimes for staying home, not from my husband, just those thoughts. But I am choosing to embrace this time of life and not give in to those feelings. I love every moment and believe that it will benefit our son. Hope to see you soon or do a play date! :)

tkc said...

You love me well...

AND you make delicious meals!

I am absolutely blessed to have such an awesome woman for a wife. I admire your tireless effort to master the art of homemaking. You make my coming home from work something I look forward to every night.

Anonymous said...

I don't need to ask what you do all day - your previous post gives me a good idea. I assume you are busy getting dinner ready, clearing clutter, being gay, preparing a cool or warm drink, and lighting fires. But why bother since he may stay out all night anyway, right?