Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Schedules & Lists

For the most part, I like change, adventure, spontaneity, excitement, etc. But, in our adult lives, we can't always have all that all the time...we actually have responsibilities and commitments that we have to get done. For some, accomplishing things and crossing them off a list comes easy and is motivating. For the rest of us, those with the creative, free-spirit, we have to work a little harder to stay on task. This is one reason that over the past few years, I have learned to use schedules and lists. I have found that if I make schedules and lists for myself, I end up having more time for the fun, adventure, and spontaneity. I now have a schedule for lots of things. I plan a weekly menu. I have a weekly cleaning schedule. I have a flexible but useful daily schedule with my kids. It really helps me stay on task since I'm home full-time. It also makes life flow a little easier, lets me know my time with my kids is productive, and allows me to give them my attention and still get work done. So, I'm sharing some of those schedules and lists for those of you who like to gather and share ideas.

OUR DAILY SCHEDULE (which can always be shifted and changed at a moments notice)
8:00 Breakfast & Daily Devotions
8:30 Clean Up and Chores
9:30 Art
10:00 Free Play (this is when we go to park or library too)
11:00 Video (I get lunch and dinner preparations ready)
11:30 Lunch
12:00 Clean Up
12:30 "School Work" -letters, numbers, coloring, etc.
1:00 Free Play
1:30 Book Time and Nap Routine
2:00 Naps
3:30 Snack
4:00 Free Play (play dough, art, toys, outside time)
5:00 Prepare Dinner
5:30 Dinner
6:00 Clean Up
Family Time
8:00 Bath time and Bedtime Routines
8:30 Bedtime for the kids

BASIC CLEANING SCHEDULE
Monday- Laundry & Ironing
Tuesday-Bathrooms
Wednesday-Vacuum & Dust
Thursday- Laundry (sheets get washed this day too)
Friday- Kitchen Deep Clean
Saturday- De-clutter/ re-organization
Sunday- OFF

SAMPLE WEEKLY MENU PLAN (I list seven ideas for each mealtime and then I can switch them around to fit the day or what sounds good, I make sure to have all the ingredients on hand that week-this helps me to write a quick grocery list)

Breakfast:
Cereal & Blueberries
Oatmeal & Applesauce
Pancakes & Banana
Cereal & Strawberries
Toast & Eggs
Oatmeal & Applesauce
Muffins & Banana

Lunch:
Turkey & Avocado Wraps, carrots
Chicken Mango Salad
Tuna burgers topped with tomatoes & cottage cheese with fruit
Almond Butter and Jelly Sandwiches & veggies
Chicken Salad, whole wheat crackers, fruit
Grilled Cheese and Tomato Soup
Dinner Leftovers

Dinner:
Fajitas & Pudding
Chix Alfredo with Broccoli and bread sticks
Veggie Burgers & mashed potatoes
Soup & homemade Bread
Homemade Catfish Sticks and mashed potatoes, fruit for dessert
Homemade BBQ Chicken Pizza
Southwest Chicken Salad

Snacks:
Yogurt
Cheese and Raisins
apples & Peanut Butter
Goldfish
Chocolate Covered Bananas
TrailMix

Our menu changes every week (I like change). This is a menu we had a few weeks back...some things I'll use again...others, like this particular veggie burger recipe got a negative family vote and got discarded!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi again!

That is a really cool post!
I didn't know you had schedules all organized like that, that is awesome!
I am an organizer too, but wow, that is impressive!
I make alot of lists; usually at the beginning of the day, with everything I have to do, in the order it needs to be done, then I cross it off as I get it done.
I love the crossing stuff out, that's my favorite part!
Also, I used to think that planners were dumb, but now, I can't live without mine.
I guess that's what nursing school will do to a person :)
Maybe you can teach me how to do schedules like that when I have a family someday! :)
Love, AJ